I’m finally getting around to updating again, yay! I learned a few fancier (and more difficult) flowers:
Apple blossoms, primroses, and daffodils, respectively! The best part about making these was using royal icing; as opposed to buttercream icing, royal icing doesn’t use any crisco (it’s basically just powdered sugar and water, really), which means that I don’t have to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning pastry bags afterwards!
I’ve also begun working with fondant, and here’s my first fondant-covered cake:
I got lazy and just stuck the flowers on the cake with purple icing because that’s just what I happened to have on hand, so that’s why there are globs of purple. I think my first trial with fondant went pretty well; there are a few wrinkles at the bottom of the cake, and the icing was rather thick underneath so the top edges started to slump after a while. But the fondant didn’t tear at all, so overall it was a pleasing first try. Oh, and I finally got the shade of turquoise that I was aiming for in the previous cake!